Palmeiras fought hard, but it wasn't enough. In extra time, Verdão was defeated by Chelsea, from England, by 2-1 in the final of the Club World Cup, in a match held this Saturday (12), in Abu Dhabi, in the United Arab Emirates.

The game
From the beginning, Palmeiras showed their plan very clearly. Congest the midfield and leave the ball with Chelsea's defenders, who failed a lot in the distribution of play, and fight for counterattacks.

Read also:

Chelsea kept the ball, but Palmeiras took the most danger. Verdão's first good chance came at 23, when Dudu cut to the middle and hit from the right, with the ball passing close to Mendy's goal. The big chance of the initial stage came soon after, with Dudu and Zé Rafael tabling. Shirt 7 received it at the entrance of the area, but it knocked weakly out.

The English continued to struggle to break through the green block at the entrance to the area and could barely find forward Lukaku. The Blues' best attempt in the first half came in stoppage time. Thiago Silva took advantage of the space in the middle and hit the goal. Weverton went down, but the ball passed the side of the goal.

The second half started like the first, with Rudiger taking advantage of the space in the middle and shooting over Weverton's goal. Only the 9, Chelsea opened the scoring. Hudson-Odoi went to the bottom and crossed on Lukaku's head, who beat Luan and put him in the net.

At 15, Dudu missed a chance inside the area, but VAR called the referee Chris Beath, who awarded a penalty for a hand touch from Thiago Silva. Raphael Veiga displaced Mendy and evened the score in Abu Dhabi.

Chelsea had a good chance with Pulisic, but the American sent them out. Soon after, Veiga received it at the entrance of the area and hit weakly for Mendy's defense. Pulisic had another good opportunity in the sequence, with the shot putting it close to the post.

The English team even tried to apply greater pressure in the last minutes. However, it didn't result in much and the match went into overtime.

In extra time, Chelsea went more into the attack. After unsuccessful attempts by Pulisic and Sarr, Werner tried to cross into the area, the ball deflected and ended up hitting the crossbar.

In the second half of extra time, Chelsea continued to lift balls into the area and in one of them, the ball hit Luan's hand and the referee, with the help of VAR, awarded a penalty. Kai Havertz, goal scorer in the Champions League final, took the kick and put the Blues back in the lead.